Moving to jeremy-chen.org

I'm moving to http://jeremy-chen.org/. Mostly.

I plan to use that site as a "self-marketing website" of sorts and to manage content in a way that I would otherwise not be able to do on blogger alone.

This blog will stay, ostensibly for more provisional ideas prior to refinement. I'll be gradually moving content (I still like) over to the other website. =)

Sunday, January 29, 2012

On the Terms of Reference for the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau

A quick thought: If I were the Prime Minister, I would, against partisan self-interest, boot the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) out of the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) and restructure it.

At the highest level, the CPIB should be headed by a group of equals. If any member of that group wants to launch an investigation, the investigation will be launched. (Of course, there should be rules governing how these investigations might be conducted.) Now the question is how to appoint these individuals and their tenure.

Perhaps, each government might appoint up to 3 individuals, the President up to 1, and the Attorney General up to 1. These individuals would serve up to the dissolution of the government after the present one. That is to say, they may be there for up to two Parliamentary terms. (This is to prevent a corrupt government from...)

Taking this further, the CPIB might be split up into two independent organizations (which can investigate each other).

But I'm not the Prime Minister, and I'm not in the Cabinet, and I'm not in Parliament, and I didn't even bother to run. So my initial statement looks rather vacuous in this light. Still, I would support any Prime Minister with the integrity to properly institutionalize anti-corruption in the government.

No comments: